Manchester United kept their trophy hopes alive for this season and ended Liverpool’s quest for four trophies with a dramatic extra-time victory in an FA Cup quarter-final classic at Old Trafford.

In an incident-packed encounter, it was substitute Amad Diallo who sent Erik ten Hag’s side to Wembley with a strike in the dying seconds of the additional period to send the Stretford End wild, the match-winner then being sent off after getting a second yellow card for his celebrations.

It summed up everything about this thriller, United manager Ten Hag doing a dance of delight as Diallo’s shot flashed past Liverpool keeper Caoimhin Kelleher.

United desire for a place in the last four at Wembley was illustrated in a fast start which saw them take an early lead, Scott McTominay bundling home from close range in the 10th minute after Kelleher had pushed out Alejandro Garnacho’s shot.

Kelleher denied McTominay again from close range before the tie was turned on its head as Liverpool scored twice in three minutes on the stroke of half-time to take the lead and stun United.

Alexis Mac Allister equalised when his shot was deflected off Kobbie Mainoo, United paying the price for allowing the excellent Jarell Quansah to race forward unchallenged to play in Darwin Nunez.

And Mohamed Salah, the regular scourge of United, struck again swiftly with his 13th goal in 14 appearances against them, turning home in front of the Stretford End after Andre Onana saved from Nunez.

Liverpool had the better of the opportunities after the break but substitute Antony drew United level three minutes from the end of normal time with a low shot on the turn before Marcus Rashford then somehow steering a simple finish wide with the goal at his mercy to win the game.

Substitute Harvey Elliott put Liverpool back in front after 105 minutes, his 20-yard shot taking a crucial touch off substitute Christian Eriksen to swerve tantalisingly out of the reach of Onana.

It looked like the game was up for United but Rashford made amends for his earlier miss with another equaliser to set up that sensational finale with Diallo the central figure.

Chelsea scored twice in stoppage time to survive a major scare against Leicester City and reach the FA Cup semi-finals.

Substitutes Carney Chukwuemeka and Noni Madueke snatched victory for the Blues at the end of a dramatic second half in which the home fans threatened to turn on manager Mauricio Pochettino.

The hosts led comfortably at 2-0 until Axel Disasi scored a comedy own goal from 35 yards out to breathe life into the tie in the 51st minute.

Stephy Mavididi curled in a superb equaliser 11 minutes later after which a fractious Stamford Bridge voiced its unrest with loud boos and chants of “you don’t know what you’re doing”.

FA Cup: Axel Disasi scores freak own goal for Chelsea against Leicester
But a red card with 17 minutes to go for Leicester defender Callum Doyle proved crucial.

He fouled Nicolas Jackson and, having been initially been shown a yellow card and a penalty given, the video assistant referee ruled the foul was outside of the box but upgraded his yellow to red.

Chelsea applied constant pressure from there and Chukwuemeka slotted in after a clever flick from Cole Palmer, who scored along with Marc Cucurella for Chelsea in the first half, in the 92nd minute.

Madueke’s long-range strike sealed the win which maintains Chelsea’s hopes of ending a difficult season on a high by winning the FA Cup for the first time since 2018.

Leicester’s attention turns back to the Championship where the Foxes have been knocked off the top of the table by Leeds’ win against Millwall on Sunday.

Coventry City stunned Wolverhampton Wanderers to reach the FA Cup semi-finals for only the second time in their history thanks to two stoppage-time goals at Molineux.

The Championship side led through Ellis Simms’ strike until the 83rd minute before falling 2-1 behind after Wolves’ own dramatic comeback.

But Simms scored again to equalise in the 97th minute and Haji Wright curled in three minutes later to spark wild celebrations.

Mark Robins’ men thought their dreams of becoming the first team from outside the top flight to win the FA Cup since 1980 had been dashed when Rayan Ait-Nouri and substitute Hugo Bueno struck in the final seven minutes in response to Simms’ controversial opener.

But from nowhere, Simms got his second when he turned home Bobby Thomas’ flick at the far post.

Then, with the stadium preparing for extra time, Simms found Wright with a neat lay-off before the 25-year-old found the bottom corner, giving Jose Sa no chance.

Robins and his backroom team raced on to the pitch at the final whistle to celebrate his side booking a return to Wembley, where they were beaten by Luton in last season’s Championship play-off final, and where they famously defeated Tottenham in 1987 to win the FA Cup.
Manchester City cruised into the FA Cup semi-finals with a comfortable victory over a jaded and disappointing Newcastle United at Etihad Stadium.

Pep Guardiola’s side remain in contention to repeat last season’s historic Treble of Champions League, Premier League and FA Cup, and were barely troubled on a rain-lashed night in Manchester.

They are the first side in FA Cup history to reach six successive FA Cup semi-finals, and have reached the last four in seven of Guardiola’s eight campaigns in charge.

City were in control with a two-goal lead by the break on Saturday, and although both goals had an element of good fortune, they reflected a half in which the holders were dominant with 75% possession.

First, Bernardo Silva’s shot was deflected up and over Newcastle keeper Martin Dubravka by Dan Burn’s outstretched leg after 13 minutes, then the Portuguese’s effort went in via the head of defender Sven Botman just after the half hour.
The Emirates FA Cup semi-final draw was made on Sunday evening, live on ITV1 following the tie between Manchester United and Liverpool.
With Mark Pougatch hosting and former Cup winner Ian Wright making the draw at Old Trafford, his season’s semi-finals will be played at Wembley Stadium connected by EE on Saturday 20 April and Sunday 21 April 2024, with winning clubs picking up £1m from the competition prize fund and £500,000 for the losing teams.
Further details on which tie will be played on which day will be announced in due course following discussions with clubs, broadcast partners and local authorities.
The draw

1 Coventry City v Manchester United
2 Manchester City v Chelsea

Leave a Reply