A woman who was subjected to a sustained and violent assault has seen her attacker convicted after being supported throughout the investigation by specially trained Met officers.

Police Constable Andrew Fisher who led the investigation said: “This was a horrific incident which left the woman with significant stab injuries. From the outset we made sure that she was at the heart of our investigation; supporting her where we could and ensuring we could build the best case to get a conviction. I am glad that we’ve achieved this and a dangerous man is behind bars. Tackling violence against women and girls is a key priority for the Met and I hope convictions such as these, while highlighting the terrible violence some women suffer, demonstrates how determined we are as a police force to hold those responsible to account.”

An investigation was launched after police received a call from the victim’s flatmate to their address in Gilden Crescent, NW5 at around 01:20hrs on 15 November 2021.

Officers attended and found the victim, aged in her 20s, suffering multiple stab injuries. She reported that the suspect, 31-year-old James Legg, had been at her address and attacked her. The victim and Legg were known to each other and had spent the day together; however – she had asked him to leave as he had been taking drugs and alcohol and she was concerned about his behaviour.

After putting his coat on, Legg returned to the victim’s room armed with a knife and launched a sustained attack on her. When she was examined by medical staff, the victim was found to have ten stab injuries, and only managed to avoid receiving further wounds after she managed to grab hold of the knife.

Legg went to the kitchen to fetch another knife and the woman managed to barricade herself in the bathroom. Despite a sustained attempt to get in, Legg left the flat before police arrived but he was quickly tracked down and arrested. During police interview, he did not provide any reason for the attack and answered no comment to all questions put to him.

James Legg – 31 (12.10.93) of Arlington Road, NW1 was found guilty of attempted murder following a trial at Wood Green Crown Court on Tuesday, 6 February and was remanded in custody ahead of sentencing at the same court on 11 April.

Leave a Reply