A fire at a vehicle repair yard in #Barking is believed to have been caused by an out of control bonfire.
Please make sure to take care when burning waste at home or at work and keep it well away from buildings and other flammable materials.
Vehicle repair centre fire – Barking
Barking and Dagenham
Fire at commercial property
Six fire engines and around 40 firefighters tackled a fire at a vehicle repair centre on River Road in Barking.
Three vehicles were destroyed and around 50 tonnes of rubbish was alight. A gas cylinder at the scene was cooled to an ambient temperature as some cylinders can explode when exposed to heat. There have been no reports of any injuries.
The fire was very visible and produced large amounts of smoke. People in the area were advised to keep windows and doors closed.
The fire is believed to have been caused by a bonfire spreading out of control.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “We would urge people to consider if their bonfire is necessary and to take care if you’re burning waste at home or at work.
“If you’re having a bonfire never leave it unattended and consider your neighbours when you do decide to have a fire in your garden.
“Make sure you build it well clear of buildings, garden sheds, fences and hedges and never use flammable liquids to start it or burn dangerous items such as aerosol cans. Always keep a bucket of water or a hosepipe nearby in case of fire.
“Always check your local authority’s advice on bonfires and follow our safety tips.”
The Brigade’s 999 Control Officers received 14 calls about the fire.
The Brigade was called at 1254 and the fire was brought under control by 1442. Crews from Plaistow, Dagenham, Millwall and surrounding fire stations attended the scene.