A gunman whom tenacious Met detectives identified and extradited from St Lucia to face justice at the Old Bailey has been jailed for murder.

Chase Griffith, 22, (24.05.01) of Ashfield Parade, N14 appeared at the Old Bailey on Friday, 12 January where he was sentenced to 30 years’ imprisonment for the murder of 28-year-old Sam Brown.

He had previously been found guilty of the murder following trial on Wednesday, 29 November.

Griffith had been extradited from Saint Lucia having fled there following the murder.

Detective Chief Inspector Kelly Allen who led the investigation said: “This sentence brings an end to a long and painstaking investigation by officers from the Met assisted by colleagues at the National Crime Agency. I am very grateful for their assistance with the extradition of Griffith.

“Sam Brown was gunned down in the street by Chase Griffith in an act of perceived revenge following a stabbing that had taken place earlier that night.

“Griffith then fled the country to Saint Lucia, while Sam’s family grieved his brutal murder.

“Thanks to diligent detective work, using CCTV and other forensic evidence, a watertight case was built against Griffith allowing his arrest and extradition back to the UK to face justice.

“My thoughts today are with Sam’s family who have my deepest sympathy.”

In a statement following the trial Sam’s family said: “We will never have any closure to what actually happened to our son that night. We all have to move on with our lives as we know that’s what Sam would want us to do. He will always be our angel and never forgotten.”

The court heard how Griffith and Sam attended a party in Cheney Row Park, Walthamstow on the night of Saturday, 23 July 2022. Around 150 people were present.

In the early hours of 24 July a man received a stab wound and was taken to hospital for treatment. In the aftermath of the stabbing, Griffith produced a firearm and, believing Sam was in some way responsible, shot him in the street.

Sam staggered into his car and managed to drive a short distance before losing consciousness – he was taken to hospital where he died from his injuries.

Griffith fled the scene and travelled to the Southgate area. After arriving home he disposed of a distinctive tracksuit he was wearing in an attempt to cover his tracks.

On 27 July Griffith boarded a flight to Saint Lucia from Gatwick Airport. When he arrived at the airport, Griffith had changed his appearance including cutting his distinctive hairstyle. He remained in Saint Lucia until he returned to the same airport on 8 December after being extradited.

DCI Allen added: “This was a challenging investigation. Although numerous people were at this gathering and many witnessed Griffith shooting Sam, people were reluctant to come forward and speak to police.

“However, through forensic CCTV analysis and meticulous investigative work using mobile phone data, we were able to conclusively prove Griffith was the person responsible for this murder. I am pleased that the hard work of the investigating team has paid off and a dangerous individual has been held to account for this callous murder.”

Leave a Reply