Our Highways Team have been working hard to clear fallen trees and blocked drains following the high winds and heavy rain caused by Storm Isha this week.

While weather conditions seem to be improving, our response on the ground will continue for some time, as crews get to work on the clean-up operation, dealing with issues caused by fallen trees and flood water. Over the month of January our teams have been called out to issues caused by the three named storms 1,204 times across the county.

As a result of the unprecedented weather, many residents might now be looking to repair damage to their homes and gardens and our Trading Standards team is warning them not to fall victim to rogue traders.

Councillor Morris Bright MBE, Executive Member for Community Safety at Hertfordshire County Council, said:

“We would like to remind residents that if any of January’s storms have caused damage to their properties or gardens, it is important to find a trusted trader when organising repairs. We know that rogue traders target those who need work doing quickly and will often manage to convince victims to get unnecessary work done, at an inflated price. They then will deliver poor quality repairs which leave residents vulnerable to further damage.”

Residents can find a trusted local trader for free using the Which? Trusted Traders scheme, in partnership with Hertfordshire Trading Standards.

Traders on the scheme undergo an assessment by Which? and Hertfordshire Trading Standards professionals – including face-to-face interviews, financial checks, and even Trading Standards checks, in order to become endorsed, so you can be sure you’re hiring someone reliable.

Top tips to avoid rogue traders and doorstep criminals:

  • Choose a trader that is part of the Which? Trusted Trader Scheme
  • Never engage with cold callers knocking on your door or who call out of the blue
  • Be wary of using traders recommended on social media
  • Get three quotes from different and independently sourced traders
  • Be careful of online reviews as these may not be genuine

To report fallen trees or branches or flooded roads, paths or cycleways go to www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/faultreporting

Leave a Reply