Christmas and New Year travel
Travel changes and information
Between Friday 22 December 2023 and Tuesday 2 January 2024, planned work, closures and service changes may affect your journey.
The only transport running on Christmas Day will be taxi and private hire services, Santander Cycles, electric scooter rental trials (in some boroughs), coaches and Dial-a-Ride (for registered members only).
During the Christmas and New Year period, there are likely to be changes to timetables on TfL services. Details will be available nearer the time.
See our six-month look ahead for planned track closures.
Planned works and timetable changes will also affect National Rail services. For more information visit nationalrail.co.uk/christmas
- The Congestion Charge will not operate from Christmas Day (Monday 25 December 2023) to Monday 1 January 2024 (inclusive)
- The Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) will not operate on Christmas Day (Monday 25 December)
- The Low Emission Zone (LEZ) operates every day of the year (including Christmas Day)
- You need to pre-book to go to Hyde Park Winter Wonderland
- Plan ahead, check before you travel and leave more time for your journey
- Nearby Tube stations include Green Park (Jubilee, Piccadilly and Victoria lines) and Knightsbridge (Piccadilly line). However, these can get very busy
- Nearby stations may be closed or exit-only at busy times
- For a quieter journey, use Bond Street, which is within a 15-minute walk of Hyde Park, or Victoria or Paddington which are within a 20-minute walk
- For step-free access or if you are travelling with a buggy, use Green Park, Victoria or Bond Street, which all have lifts
- You can use Santander Cycles or bus services to complete your journeys
New Year’s Eve
New Year’s Eve fireworks will be taking place this year. Find out more details.
TfL is not able to offer free travel on New Year’s Eve.
Travelling at quieter times
Travel at quieter times if possible.
We hope you enjoy the festive season.
- Take care while travelling on the network, especially if you have been drinking alcohol
- Plan how you are getting home in advance
- Find out more about safer travel
Check before you travel and plan ahead using our travel tools.
- TfL Go – our live Tube map app for planning travel on the move
- Plan a journey, which can help you plan your route by public transport, cycling or walking
- The latest status updates for buses and traffic
- The latest status updates for Tube, rail and trams
- Our email updates
- Nearby places you on a map, showing Tube, bus, river, rail and Santander Cycles locations, as well as local businesses and destinations. It can use your current location, a postcode or an address of your choice
- Find out about quieter times to travel
Daily travel advice
Find out more about travel on the following days:
All information is subject to change. We’ll be updating these pages regularly with more detail of what’s running over Christmas and New Year.