Firefighters rescued a man from a house fire on Addington Drive in North Finchley.

Part of the ground floor of a semi-detached house was damaged by fire. One man was taken to hospital.

The Brigade’s Fire Investigators believe the fire was accidental and caused by cooking left unattended.

Station Commander Neil Guyett, who was at the scene, said: “Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus rescued a man from the ground floor living room.

“Crews worked quickly to confine the fire to the kitchen and prevent further damage to the house.

“Fires are more likely to start in the kitchen than any other room in the home, so it’s important to take extra care and never leave cooking unattended on the hob or grill. If you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.”

Firefighters’ tips for safer cooking

Don’t leave cooking unattended on the hob or grill – turn off the heat if you need to leave the kitchen.
Take extra care when cooking with hot oil as it can easily overheat and catch fire.
Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil.
Not feeling 100%? Order a takeaway – if you’re very tired, have been drinking alcohol or are taking medication that might make you drowsy, it’s safer not to risk it.
Be fabric aware – loose clothing can easily catch fire, so take care not to lean over a hot hob, and always keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
The Brigade was called at 1737 and the fire was under control by 1815. Three fire engines and around 15 firefighters from Finchley and Hendon fire stations attended the scene.

Leave a Reply