Firefighters have issued a cooking safety reminder after a fire at a flat on Bidborough Street in King’s Cross.

Part of a flat on the first floor of the building was damaged by the fire.  Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus rescued one man from a first floor window via a ladder. Another man was led to safety by crews via an internal staircase. They were both taken to hospital suffering smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service crews.

The Brigade’s fire investigation team believe the cause of the fire was cooking left unattended in a microwave.

A London Fire Brigades spokesperson said: “You should never leave cooking unattended – if you have to leave the room or the house, turn the heat off or switch the microwave off before you do.”

THe Brigade was called at 0314 and the fire was under control by 0436. Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Euston, Soho and Islington fire stations attended the scene.

How to prevent cooking fires

Avoid leaving cooking unattendedDon’t cook if you are tired, have been drinking alcohol or taking medication that might make you drowsy

Take care not to lean over hot hobs and keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob

Be careful to keep the oven, hob, cooker hood and grill clean to avoid a build-up of fat and grease, which could ignite and cause a fire

Use spark devices to light gas cookers – they are much safer than matches or lighters as they don’t have a naked flame

Double check the cooker and hob are turned off when you’ve finished cooking

Check toasters are clean and placed away from anything that can catch fire

Never put anything metal in the microwave

Never use a barbecue indoors or on a balcony – burning or smouldering fuel can cause carbon monoxide poisoning

Supervise children and pets in the kitchen at all times and keep matches and saucepan handles out of reach

Leave a Reply