The Bees came from behind to secure all three points against Chorley at The Hive London this afternoon. After Marcus Carver gave the Magpies a 1-0 lead at the break, a Jack Taylor penalty before Mauro Vilhete’s winner gave Darren Currie’s side a deserved victory.


The visitors had the first opening of the game as Ntumba Massanka latched onto a through ball and fired a powerful effort that Scott Loach was equal to.

 10 minutes in and Vilhete had an effort deflected behind for the Bees first corner of the afternoon. The resulting corner was inches away from meeting the head of Dan Sweeney who surely would have put in.

Then Darren Currie’s side did have the ball in the net, only to see it ruled out by the linesman for a handball.

Three minutes later the Bees broke through again as David Tutonda chased a long ball down, his deflected cross was headed over from six yards out.

Marcus Carver unleashed a powerful drive that Loach got a fingertip to send over the bar. Then straight up the other end, James Dunne stretched to send a deep Vilhete cross back across the face of goal.

20 minutes in and Currie’s side had another great chance to take the lead as Josh Walker sent Tutonda’s excellent delivery over the crossbar.

Seven minutes later Dunne skipped through the midfield before firing a shot narrowly wide of the upright from 20 yards out.

But with half an hour played it was the Magpies who took the lead as Carver acrobatically scored past Loach. It was a bitter blow after Currie’s men dominated the opening 30 minutes.

With five minutes to go before the break, Tutonda turned well on the edge of the area, only to see his goalbound effort blocked by a the Magpies defence.

Nine minutes into the second half Cheye Alexander got in behind but could only fire wide from a tight angle.

Three minutes later Walker went close as his effort from the edge of the box deflected wide of the left post,

After 61 minutes the Bees were level as Jack Taylor scored from the spot after Tutonda was fouled just inside the area.

The Bees continued to dominate proceedings in difficult conditions, Dunne went close as his effort was superbly blocked from eight yards out.

With 11 minutes to play Walker raced through on goal but only to be denied by a great stop by Urwin in the Magpies goal.

But from the resulting corner the Bees took the lead as the ball was squared for Vilhete to smash into the roof of the South Stand net to put us ahead.

With two minutes to go Loach pulled off a great stop at the feet as Massanka to keep his side in front as the added time approached in a rainy Hive London.

The Bees retained possession well in the closing five additional minutes to ensure they returned to winning ways after a difficult run of results.

Barnet XI: Loach, Alexander, Johnson, Reynolds (C), Dunne, Boucaud (J Taylor ’45), Vilhete, Elito (Fonguck ’80), Walker, Tutonda, Sweeney (Mason-Clark ’52)

Unused Subs: Matrevics, Akinola. 

ATT: 1040

Leave a Reply