Islington Council is providing estate-based arts activities through its Arts on Estates project that aims to improve access and engagement to the arts amongst Islington residents.
One group of residents meet every week on the Girdlestone Estate, Archway, for an art class run by artist Marta Corada.
Julie: “I’ve been coming along to Islington art classes since it started, and I love it. These classes get me out of my house and I’ve made some great friends.
“I couldn’t draw or paint very well before I joined the group, but now I have a lot of work that I’m really proud of, including sculptures made from felt!”
Jessuina: “My husband passed away over two years ago – this class and the friends I have made here have really made a difference.
“We do lots of things together, for example, the class recently went on a trip to Southend together.”
Joyce “I’ve achieved a lot in this class. I’m especially proud of the banner that I made to celebrate Mary Wollstonecraft and the suffragettes.”
Cllr Una O’Halloran, Executive Member for Community Development said: “It’s great to see that this innovative approach is getting rid of barriers to culture so that residents who might otherwise find it hard to access the arts can explore their talents. The programme also gives people the opportunity to socialise and meet new friends so can even help with their overall well-being.”
Apart from the Art Group, there are classes that offer range of activities for different groups:
- Singing Well Choir: engaging with people aged 18-80 – targeting residents from all Islington estates
- Angel Shed Theatre: engaging with young people and their families
- The Galbur Foundation: engaging BAMER young people
- Park Theatre: working with residents of working age who are unemployed
- Pocahuntas ceramics: engaging with residents of all ages
- Girdlestone Art Group: providing arts classes to residents aged 55 and over
For more about arts on estates activities, workshops, courses and events emailhcdt@Islington.gov.uk to find out about events, workshops and classes near you.