On Friday, 10 August, officers from the Force Firearms Unit were carrying out a pre-planned operation aimed at disrupting criminal activity in parts of north London.

At approximately 00:30hrs officers travelling in a marked police vehicle identified a silver Volkswagen Golf acting suspiciously on Cliff Villas in Camden.

Officers followed the Golf and manoeuvred behind it, at which point the vehicle reversed and rammed into the police car before driving away at speed.

Officers followed the vehicle and a pursuit was authorised. During the pursuit, the driver of the Golf drove through red lights, across pedestrian areas, and travelled the wrong way down one-way streets in an attempt to lose the officers.

A number of items were seen to be thrown from the vehicle including a large machete which was subsequently recovered by officers.

The National Police Air Service (NPAS) deployed a helicopter to assist. After a 20-minute pursuit the vehicle came to a stop in Mercers Road and six occupants exited and ran away through a park.

Through collaborative work between NPAS, the Met’s armed officers and a specialist firearms dog, three of the suspects – including the driver – were located and arrested on Huddleston Road.

Officers are continuing inquiries to locate the other three suspects.

No officers were injured during this incident.

Chief Superintendent Andy Walker, from the Met’s Force Firearms Unit, said: “The actions of the men involved in this incident show a complete disregard for the safety of the general public and of the police officers involved. I am incredibly proud of the officers who worked closely with colleagues from NPAS to track down and apprehend these men.

“They made a clear attempt to discard weapons and evidence of criminality, but this incident should send a clear message that if you are considering carrying a weapon, committing an act of violence or fleeing from police – we will track you down and we will use a range of tactics and tools to apprehend you.”

The three males – two aged 17 and one aged 21 – were arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon, failing to stop, and dangerous driving. All three were taken to a north London police station where they remain in custody.



Leave a Reply