An Offaly man claims he attacked a chef with a baseball bat because he had previously been sexually assaulted by him.
Dillion McGimpsey of Castle Court in Daingean is on trial for allegedly assaulting Michael Michalakis on November 22, 2016 at a Tullamore car park.
However, in a memo of an interview read to the jury at Tullamore Circuit Court in Ireland this morning the accused told gardai he hit Michalakis six times and then ran away.
In the garda interview, McGimpsey said he was very angry at Michalakis, describing him as very cocky following an alleged incident ten days earlier.
The court heard 20-year-old McGimpsey had made a complaint to gardai that Michalakis, a 57-year-old Cypriot chef, had performed a non consensual sex act on the accused in a flat in Dublin.
The jury also heard Michalakis had previous convictions for sexual assault in Canada.
Michalakis did not comment on the detail of those convictions or the Dublin incident when cross examined yesterday.
The trial also previously heard Michalakis had driven to Tullamore on November 22, 2016 to meet a young man from Tullamore, Charlie Fox, a friend of McGimpsey.
The meeting had been arranged on the gay dating app, Grindr.
When Michalakis was approaching Fox in the multi storey car park at Main Street, another man came at him from the dark and hit him on the head.
Charlie Fox identified the attacker in evidence as Dillon McGimpsey.
Evidence has concluded and the accused was remanded on continuing bail to next Tuesday when closing arguments will be heard before Judge Keenan Johnson.