Food manufacturers ordered to pay £152,823.23 in total
– Edmonton-based Doce Bakers & Sweets Ltd, Sweet Mahall Ltd, and company directors fined
– Inspectors found filthy premises posed a risk to the public
Two manufacturers preparing food from the same premises found with a string of hygiene failings have been ordered to pay out a whopping £152,823.23 in total after being prosecuted by Enfield Council.
During sentencing at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on 24 October, Sweet Mahall Ltd. was ordered to pay £84,000 with regards to six offences, a victim surcharge of £170 and costs of £3,771.69. Company Director Mr. Rana Ahmad was ordered to pay £5,220, a victim surcharge of £170 and costs of £5,807.94.
Doce Bakers and Sweets Ltd. was ordered to pay a total of £44,000 pertaining to four offences, a victim surcharge of £70 and costs of £3,774.80. Company Director Mr. Nizakat Ali was ordered to pay £1,890 for two offences, plus a victim surcharge of £94 and costs of £3,774.80.
Doce Bakers and Sweets Ltd. and Sweet Mahall Ltd. pleaded guilty to six offences under the Food Safety and Hygiene Regulations 2013; Mr. Nizakat Ali pleaded guilty to two offences and Mr Rana Ahmad to one.
Enfield Council found the Edmonton premises that were used jointly to manufacture desserts, sweets, bakery goods and samosas to have fallen far short of acceptable standards. An ongoing pest infestation problem was discovered, which posed a real risk of food poisoning and illness to the public. Floors and equipment were found to be filthy – a tennis racket was even being used to mash potatoes.
Sweet Mahall was visited by Enfield Council inspectors on 28 January 2016 with a further unannounced visit made on 4 July 2016. On both occasions, the inspectors found contraventions of the Food Safety and Hygiene Regulations 2013. Indeed, during the visit in July inspectors found that additional contraventions had occurred and the level of cleanliness had declined still further. The charges against Doce Bakers related to findings made during the January visit.
Enfield Council’s Cabinet Member for Environment, Cllr Daniel Anderson, said: “Enfield Council has a duty to protect our residents and we won’t hesitate to act wherever and whenever necessary to protect them against any risk to their health.
“We take a dim view of any food outlets whose premises aren’t kept in an hygienic state for the manufacture of food. Our residents have the right to expect the food they buy to be safe to eat.”
The Food Standards Agency website can help advice people on where to eat out or shop for food. It can tell you how seriously a business takes their food hygiene standards. For more information go to: www.food.gov.uk.