Cyprus Police said on Sunday that they launched an investigation against a 58-year-old man who tore ballot papers in Nicosia district.

Moreover, the Force’s spokesperson, Christos Andreou, said during the first briefing of the day on the electoral process that the operational plan of the Police was “in full swing” at the Police Headquarters Crisis Management Centre, which, started its operations at 6 am local time and will operate until the completion of the entire electoral process.

At the same time, he added, operations centers have been set up in all police departments for better coordination. “More than 2,700 members of the Police are working at the moment, manning all the polling stations”, while patrols are being carried out in various areas, precisely for the same purpose, Andreou noted.

In addition, another large number of Police officers were performing their usual daily duties, he said.

Asked if there had been any incidents in any polling stations, Andreou said that the only incident recorded so far was in Nicosia, where a 58-year-old man allegedly tore three of the six ballot papers he had received. Police were now investigating the case based on the electoral law, Andreou, said. Answering a question, he said that this person has not been arrested.

“We hope that we will not have any more incidents”, Andreou said, noting that the Police were in constant contact with the Chief Returning Officer and his associates in all cities, so that they could respond to any incidents, if needed.

Leave a Reply