Do you know how to #ChargeSafe ❓

A flat fire in #Islington was caused by an e-bike battery.

🚫 Don’t store or charge in a hallway, doorway or escape route
✅ Use the correct charger
🔋 Don’t overcharge
😴 Don’t charge unattended or whilst sleeping

london-fire.gov.uk/incidents/2024…Firefighters have issued a reminder of their e-bike safety advice following a fire at a block of flats on Canalside Square in Islington.

A small part of a five roomed flat on the ground floor was damaged by the fire. One man was treated on scene by London Ambulance Service. 

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by the catastrophic failure of an e-bike battery. 

A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade said: “E-bikes and e-scooters are London’s fastest-growing fire risk. If you own an e-bike or e-scooter, there are a number of things you can do to help keep yourself and those around you safe.

“It is vital that you do not store or charge the device on an escape route such as a hallway. We have seen incidents where people have had to jump from windows or be rescued by firefighters because their escape route has been blocked by fire or smoke. If it is not possible to keep the device outside or in a shed or garage, make sure it is in a room where you can shut the door and contain a fire.

“When charging your e-bike or e-scooter, make sure you are using the correct charger. Mismatching the charger increases the risk of fire. It’s also important not to overcharge and to unplug the charger once it’s completed charging. Never charge an e-bike or e-scooter unattended or whilst you’re sleeping.

“If you’re converting your bike from a pushbike into an e-bike, make sure you get a professional or competent person to carry out the conversion.”

The Brigade was called at 2224 and the incident was over for firefighters at 2314. Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Shoreditch, Euston and Soho fire stations attended the scene. 

Leave a Reply