Firefighters have issued a candle safety reminder after a garage fire on Ulster Gardens in Palmers Green.

A garage attached to an end-of-terrace house and a car on the driveway were destroyed by fire. Firefighters led three people to safety. There were no reports of any injuries.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and involved a candle.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “It’s really important you never leave candles unattended and keep them away from anything that could catch fire such as curtains, furniture or clothes.

“We recommend swapping traditional candles for LED flameless ones as they are much safer, but if you do use real candles, follow our simple safety tips.”

The Brigade was called at 1819 and the fire was under control by 1923. Fire crews from Southgate, Edmonton, Tottenham, Stoke Newington and Hornsey fire stations attended the scene.

Candle safety tipsMake sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed.These items should always be held firmly in heat-resistant holders and placed on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over.Keep them away from materials that might catch fire – that’s things like curtains, furniture, clothes and hair.Be aware that tea lights get very hot and without proper holders can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath.To avoid accidents keep candles and other naked flames out of reach of children and pets

Leave a Reply