Cyprus is the only country in the European Union where the majority of the population does not hold Russia responsible for the war in Ukraine.

According to statistical finding of the European Commission’s Flash Eurobarometer 506 report, when Cypriot respondents were asked how responsible are Russian authorities first and foremost for the current situation in Ukraine, 21% said “totally agree” and 24% “tend to agree.”

However, 23% said “totally disagree” and 28% said “tend to disagree.” The remainder said “don’t know.”

Overall, it turns out that 51% of Cypriots opposed such a statement.

After Cyprus, the highest rates were recorded in Bulgaria (46%), but also in Greece (45%) where 27% fully agree with the fact that the Russians are responsible for the war and 24% tend to agree with it (total 51%). 22% of respondents in Greece said “totally disagree” and 23% said “tend to disagree” with the statement.

In Cyprus, the lowest percentage of those who were satisfied with the NATO reaction to the launch of the special military operation of the Russian Federation in Ukraine was recorded (18%), followed by the Greeks (24%). The greatest approval in the actions of the North Atlantic Alliance are from the Danes (69%).

Cyprus ranks penultimate in the EU in terms of the percentage of those who approve of anti-Russian sanctions with 48% (Bulgaria ranks last with 44%) and also closes the list of those who supported the sanctions measures taken against rich Russians (46%).

In addition, Bulgaria and Cyprus are at the top of the list of countries that believe that Ukraine is a member of the European family (48% each).

One Response to Cyprus the only EU country where the majority does not hold Russia responsible for the war in Ukraine

  1. Pantelis Mina says:

    People have the right to hold whatever vews they wish. I am glad and proud that so many Cypriots refuse to be brainwashed and have not forgotten what the USA and NATO have done to their country. It’s long term USA/NATO expansionism that provoked the war in Ukraine. They provoked it and do everything they can to prolong it in their obsession to destroy Russia and control and exploit both Ukraine and Russia. Putin fell into their trap. On the other hand, Zelenski and his gang are the equivalent of our EOKA B. They dragged their country into a catastrophic war with Russia for the sake of NATO. What a pathetic cause. To be expected to support that is an insult. We want peace. The war must stop immediately. The USA must leave Europe alone. NATO should not substitute the UN and should be dismantled. USA military bases in other countries should be abolished. There are hundreds of them in Europe and across the world, some of them with nuclear weapons. One such base, with nuclear weapons, under the absolute control of USA/NATO, is in Adana, Turkey, a short distance from Cyprus. Experts expect that in the event of nuclear weapon hostilities, the Adana base will be among the first to be targetted by the Russians, which is “opposite” Cyprus. I hope you can imagine the consequenses for Cyprus if that happened. No country should ever take military action and/or impose sanctions against another country and/or have military bases in the territory of another country. All such actions are violations of international law. The supreme law in international relations is the UN Charter. No action should be taken in international relations without the approval of the UN Security Council, which was created for a very good reason. The real war at the moment is between USA/NATO (by proxy) and Russia. Why should we be expected to support blindly one or the other. We can have our own intelligent view.

Leave a Reply