West Ham United and Chelsea both narrowly avoided ignominious FA Cup exits with narrow wins against lower-league opposition but Everton marked Frank Lampard’s first game in charge by sauntering past Brentford into the fifth round on Saturday.

A day devoid of shocks also had Premier League leaders Manchester City crush second-tier Fulham 4-1 while relegation strugglers Norwich City enjoyed a morale-boosting 1-0 win at top-flight rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Harry Kane scored twice as Tottenham Hotspur overcame Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 in the day’s late game.

After Middlesbrough’s incredible penalty shoot-out win at 12-time winners Manchester United on Friday, the stage was set for sixth-tier Kidderminster Harriers to supply some FA Cup magic as they hosted high-flying West Ham United.

And how close they came.

Kidderminster led for 72 minutes thanks to Alex Penny’s side-footed goal in the 19th minute but with one of the great FA Cup shocks brewing, Declan Rice levelled in stoppage time.

Then, as penalties loomed at the end of extra time, Jarrod Bowen broke Kidderminster’s hearts to earn West Ham a 2-1 win.

It was cruel on the side 121 places below West Ham in the standings and visiting manager David Moyes, while delighted at his side’s let-off, reserved some sympathy for the minnows.

“In truth I think Kidderminster deserved the opportunity to take it to penalty kicks,” Moyes said.

“Kidderminster were excellent today, they prepared well for us. They’ve had games when we haven’t so we should have come into it as the fresher team but they looked more ready for the whole situation.”

Kidderminster manager Russell Penn said his side had put their “heart and soul” into the game.

“Of course we’re disappointed by the timing of the goals, but I couldn’t be any more proud,” he said.

Chelsea did not leave it quite so late but also had to come from behind to beat third-tier Plymouth Argyle 2-1 after extra time at Stamford Bridge.

Plymouth shocked the Premier League side when defender Macaulay Gillesphey nodded the ball home from a free kick by former Chelsea player Jordan Houghton in the eighth minute.

Captain Cesar Azpilicueta equalised in the 41st minute with a neat flick and fellow Spaniard Marcos Alonso then struck in the 16th minute of extra time.

Even then Plymouth were not done and they were awarded a penalty five minutes from time when Malang Sarr brought down Ryan Hardie in the box but Spain’s Kepa Arrizabalaga dived low to his left to save Hardie’s shot.

Chelsea coach Thomas Tuchel was not at the game after testing positive for COVID-19.

“We put ourselves in trouble with the penalty at the end but everybody would say in the FA Cup the most important thing is to go through and that’s what we did,” Tuchel’s stand-in for the day Arno Michels said.

Man City fell behind to an early goal by Liverpool target Fabio Carvalho at the Etihad Stadium but Ilkay Gundogan quickly equalised and John Stones put them ahead before halftime.

Riyad Mahrez scored twice in the second half.

Everton fans gave Lampard a rousing reception at Goodison Park and went home happy as the Toffees easily beat Brentford.

Yerry Mina powered in a header in the 31st minute and Richarlison doubled Everton’s advantage three minutes later.

Ivan Toney got Brentford back in the tie with a penalty but Mason Holgate restored Everton’s two-goal lead and Andros Townsend wrapped up the win in stoppage time.

Crystal Palace beat fourth-tier Hartlepool United 2-0 while in a match between former FA Cup winners, Southampton beat second-tier Coventry City 2-1 after extra time.

Kenny McLean was on target for Norwich as they beat Wolves to reach the fifth round for only the second time in 10 seasons.

The Cup action continues on Sunday with holders Leicester City at Nottingham Forest after Liverpool host Cardiff City.

Manchester United crashed out of the FA Cup as Championship side Middlesbrough came from behind at Old Trafford and then emerged victorious in a nail-biting 16-shot penalty shootout.

Young striker Anthony Elanga ballooned his shot over the bar to give Chris Wilder’s side a win that was celebrated in enthusiastic fashion by a 9,000-strong visiting support.

United will complain about Middlesbrough’s controversial equaliser, scored by Matt Crooks, who tapped home despite Duncan Watmore clearly handling in the build-up.

However, they only had themselves to blame after failing to take numerous chances in a game where they had 30 shots at goal, the clearest of which came when Cristiano Ronaldo missed a penalty in the first half.

Jadon Sancho seemed to have put United on the road to the last 16 when he marked his FA Cup debut with a goal.

Instead, United’s most realistic chance of silverware has now disappeared.

FA Cup holders Leicester City suffered a shock fourth-round loss to east Midlands rivals Nottingham Forest in a pulsating game at the City Ground.

Forest, eighth in the Championship, took the lead with a well-worked goal that saw Keinan Davis head down Brennan Johnson’s cross and Philip Zinckernagel poking the ball past Danny Ward.

Within 30 seconds, the hosts had doubled their advantage, Johnson finishing after a terrible backpass from James Justin. It became 3-0 when returning captain Joe Worrall powered in a header at the back post from James Garner’s corner.

Premier League Leicester were handed a lifeline when home goalkeeper Brice Samba made an error and that enabled Kelechi Iheanacho to roll the ball into an unguarded net, but they were not able to fight back.

Forest restored their three-goal advantage when Djed Spence raced through and slid the ball past Ward to set up a fifth-round home tie against fellow Championship side Huddersfield Town.

Most of the match was played in front of a superb atmosphere at a packed City Ground, although there was an unsavoury incident after Forest’s second goal. A fan ran on to the pitch and confronted a number of players before being tackled by security and led away.

Liverpool reached the fifth round of the FA Cup for only the second time in seven seasons as they saw off a weakened but spirited Cardiff City.

The much-changed visitors, 20th in the Championship, dug in to frustrate Jurgen Klopp’s men during a goalless first half in which they had an appeal for a penalty rejected after Mark Harris fell under a challenge from Ibrahima Konate.

Liverpool eventually made their domination count in the second half as Diogo Jota headed in from Trent Alexander-Arnold’s free-kick.

New signing Luis Diaz came on to set up Takumi Minamino for the Reds’ second, before Harvey Elliott marked his return after five months out injured with an elegant swivel and finish.

Substitute Rubin Colwill’s powerful low drive gave Cardiff’s large and noisy travelling supporters late reason to cheer, but it is Liverpool who will host Norwich City in the last 16.

Non-league Boreham Wood stunned Bournemouth as 37-year-old Mark Ricketts scored to knock the Championship club out of the FA Cup and set up a fifth-round tie at Everton.

Captain Ricketts – a qualified personal trainer – found the net from the edge of the box with a shot which went in off the post after a poor clearance by Gavin Kilkenny.

It sparked jubilant scenes among 1,400 travelling Wood fans – 500 more than their average home attendance in the National League.

Boreham Wood – and their chairman Danny Hunter – can now look forward to a money-spinning tie at Goodison Park.

Hunter revealed in June 2020 that he had remortaged his house to help the club cope with the financial effects of coronavirus.

“I’m in tatters,” said Boreham Wood boss Luke Garrard, who ran on the pitch to celebrate with his players after referee Graham Scott blew the full-time whistle at the Vitality Stadium to spark emotional scenes in the away end.

“I am on top of the world, the emotions at the minute are incredible. We are such a dysfunctional family, but that is what is helping get us our results.”

Bournemouth, third in the Championship and chasing automatic promotion to the Premier League, wasted a great chance to equalise when Philip Billing’s lob over the keeper landed on the roof of the net.

Keeper Taye Ashby-Hammond, on loan from Fulham, produced two great late saves to deny Ryan Christie and Billing to further frustrate Scott Parker’s team.

Boreham Wood, who play three leagues below Bournemouth, are the first non-league side to make the fifth round since Sutton United and Lincoln City – who were both National League clubs at the time – in 2017.

Luton Town v Chelsea

Crystal Palace v Stoke City

Peterborough United v Manchester City

Liverpool v Norwich City

Southampton v West Ham United

Middlesbrough v Tottenham Hotspur

Nottingham Forest v Huddersfield Town

Everton v Boreham Wood

Leave a Reply