A goal in each half for the Moors condemned the Bees to defeat at The Hive London.

The Bees started the game brightly and should have gone ahead inside the first seven minutes, as Alex McQueen found himself some space in the box, but didn’t hit the target as the ball deflected into his path. 

Seven minutes later, it was Ephron Mason-Clark who went close as his shot flew over the crossbar after he picked up a loose ball before striking from 25 yards out. 

Gary Anderson was dealt a big blow as winger Michael Petrasso hobbled off with a hamstring injury after overstretching in the middle of the park. He was replaced by academy graduate Antonis Vasiliou. 

Meanwhile the visitors had plenty of possession throughout and almost went ahead after a free-kick fell to Tyrone Williams only for him to be denied by Aymen Azaze. The young ‘keeper was soon called into action again as he had to make a point blank stop from a powerful header from six yards out, as the Moors played in a dangerous corner. 

For all of the Moors possession, it took them ’til the 44th minute to take the lead as Williams found space in the area to glance a header into the top corner after Jamie Ward got to the byeline and crossed into the area. It was a blow for the Bees after they had defended well for the vast majority of the opening 45 minutes. 

Ultimately, it was the Moors who headed into the break with the advantage following a half which will not go down as a classic. 

The second half was very similar to the first, with the Bees starting the half in the ascendancy and they almost had the equaliser as Anthony Wordsworth’s free-kick was parried behind by Ryan Boot in the visitor’s goal.

The Moors continued to dominate possession but once again chances for the visitors were at a premium, as they continued to stand strong in from of Azaze. It was better from the Bees, albeit they didn’t manage to create too many clear cut opportunities of their own.

Only the upright stood between Anderson’s side having an equalising goal, as the ball dropped to Mason-Clark from a corner only for his clever header to bounce off the post and behind for a goal kick. 

But seven minutes later and thirteen minutes from time, the sucker punch was delivered and it was in controversial fashion. As a 50-50 on the edge of the Bees box, Harry Taylor challenge for the ball with a Solihull man before it fell to Hudlin who was in an offside position, everyone stopped before the tall centre forward slotted home into an empty net. The officials deemed that Taylor had played the ball and as a result, the flag wasn’t raised. Replay’s suggested that it was a tough call for the linesman, but it is to be said that perhaps the Bees were hard done by.

The afternoon went from bad to worse just four minutes from time as Themis Kefalas picked up a second yellow card and was shown a red card, meaning he’ll miss the Easter Monday trip to Wealdstone.

The Bees tried to salvage something from the match but the Moors remained in control and saw the game out to ensure they secured the points and a third win in a row.

It’s a trip to Wealdstone up next for the Bees, where they will try to pick up a morale-boosting result in what is sure to be a hotly contested local derby. They’ll need to show some fight and grit, as well as trying to find a better level of performance against a Stones side who will be right up for the occasion. 

Barnet: Azaze, McQueen, Petrasso (Vasiliou ’21), Hooper, Kefalas, Taylor, Mason-Clark, Vaughan (Adeloye ’73), Daly, Wordsworth (McBurnie ’65). 

Subs not used: Callan, Faal. 

Leave a Reply