Defeat for our brave Mouflons in Split Croatia

Croatia 46 Cyprus 24

The Mouflons started the (began) stronger, applying pressure on Croatia who defended well. However, it was Croatia who drew first blood by kicking the ball out from the 22 yard line and into the Cypriot half, the ball bouncing awkwardly allowing Croatia to close in on the Cyprus defence.
From a line out on the wing Croatia broke through and ran the ball over the try line making it Croatia 5 Cyprus 0. The Croatia kicker missed the conversion. On the 15 minute (mark) Croatia on the attack broke through the middle of the park, a lapse in concentration from our centres making the score 10-0 with a simple conversion between the posts, the score become 12-0.
3 minutes later Croatia added to their score with a 3rd try on the wing. The score becoming 17-0, again Croatia not taking advantage of adding a further 2 points missing the conversion. (Croatia forewent an additional 2 points by missing the conversion).

Cyprus however never gave up the fight with a hard fought try the ball moving swiftly out to the wing with a one two clever play from George Agathocleous our longest serving player and Lue Peters, back to George who the(n) ran into space drawing the defence onto him and making space for Luke to score, manoeuvring over to the touch down between the posts. An easy conversion for Seyhan Fell making the score a more respectable 17-7.
Moments later from the kick which was caught by captain Luke Frixou who then seamlessly and with great dexterity negotiated his way through the Croatian defence, avoiding several tackles scoring Cyprus’ second try. Seyhan Fell making the conversion brought the score to 17-14. Cyprus ran out of time in the first half unable to continue the momentum that had been built.

The second half was to a very close affair not reflected in the final score.
Six minutes into the second half Cyprus applying early pressure near the Croatia try line. Cyprus getting the put in for a scrum driving through whilst keeping the ball, Croatia deliberate collapsing the scrum the referee awarding a penalty try, taking the score to 17-21 to Cyprus.
A few minutes later Cyprus continuing to put pressure on Croatia winning a free kick inside the Croatia(n) half. Cyprus decide to kick for goal, Seyhan Fell (made easy work of the conversion) raising the score to 17-24.

(On) 52 minutes into the second half it was Croatia this time applying pressure to the Cyprus defence and scoring their first try of the second half bringing the score to a very tense 24-24.
On 59 minutes Croatia won a (questionable) free kick and chose to kick, successfully making it 27-24.
From this point forward it was Croatia who made each move count, first on 64 mins with a try and conversion adding 7 points bringing the score 32-24. Croatia making the first change with a double substitution. (Meanwhile our players grew incredibly tired, with one limping but soldiering on with the game).
4 minutes later on 68 minutes Croatia score another try with a conversion taking the score to 39-24.
Cyprus coach Andrew Binikos deciding to make changes firstly with prop Alexander Ioannou and (right at the last minute) later with wing Vaki Antoniou.
The changes seemed to breath life into the team, however Cyprus unable to turn the pressure into points to close the gap.
On 70 minutes Croatia make a break and score their final try bringing the final score to 46-24.

Cyprus fought hard through to the end preventing any further Croatia attacks; they had much of the ball in the last 10. (Each member should be proud of themselves and use this to fuel their determination for the next match.)

Leave a Reply