Gary Taylor, 51 (21.10.67) of Electric Avenue, Essex, pleaded guilty at Wood Green Crown Court on Wednesday, 26 September to the attempted rape of a child, and trespass with the intent to commit a sexual assault.

On Friday 2 November, he was sentenced at the same court to 15 years’ imprisonment and placed on the Sex Offenders Register for life.

The court heard how on Monday, 27 August, Taylor was visiting a friend who lived in the same shared residential premises as his victim in Haringey. He was seen on CCTV to be standing at the door of his friend’s address, naked, while watching the victim’s father make attempts to use the shared bathroom that was in use.

Once the bathroom was free and the father went to use it, Taylor moved off camera and towards the victim’s flat.

He entered the flat and attempted to sexually assault the child, who was aged under 13. He also assaulted the victim’s mother.

The father of the child then returned to the flat and attempted to rugby tackle Taylor off his victim. Taylor proceeded to jump out of the window of the premises, and run naked down the street. He was apprehended by members of the public and police were called.

Taylor was taken to hospital for an assessment of minor injuries that he received while being apprehended. He was found to have been experiencing the effects of a Class A drug and alcohol while he committed the offence.

Following his release from hospital, he was charged on Tuesday, 28 August and remanded into custody.

Detective Inspector Jimi Tele, who led the investigation, said: “This was a despicable crime committed against an innocent child; the child and their parents should never have had to experience this, and the fact Taylor was under the influence of drugs and alcohol is no excuse.

“I want to thank the family for their bravery in working with police to ensure Taylor was held accountable for his actions; I hope that his sentence today provides them with some comfort and enables them to move on with their lives.

“I would also like to commend and thank those members of the public who apprehended Taylor until police arrived.

“I hope that this case demonstrates to the public, the Met’s commitment to tackling crimes of this nature. We will continue to work tirelessly to ensure that such dangerous criminals will be taken off the streets and be put behind bars where they belong.”



Leave a Reply