If the joint statement that will follow the meeting of the two leaders in Cyprus is not agreed, then the meeting will not take place, the Cyprus government announced Thursday.

Acting Government Spokesman Victoras Papadopoulos, invited to confirm reports from the Turkish Cypriot side that the two leaders will meet on 4th November, replied that “the fact the UN has denied this that says it all”.

He explained that either the Turkish Foreign Minister or the Turkish Cypriot side made the statement, noting there is confusion as to who made it and now “they are now trying to put the pressure on our side”.

Papadopoulos said the government does not want to play this kind of games adding, “We mean what we say. We want to engage in a dialogue to solve the Cyprus issue and such a meeting to have prospects”. For this reason, he added, there will not be a meeting between the President of the Republic and Dervis Eroglu if a joint statement that will be issued after the meeting is not agreed on.

He further said that the joint statement will “define the road map and procedure of talks”.

Papadopoulos also said that there is a difference of views on the content of the joint statement of the two leaders, which will define the basis of a solution and the procedure that will follow, as well as everything necessary for the dialogue to have a successful outcome. He added that President Anastasiades has repeatedly explained this.

The Republic of Cyprus has been divided since 1974 when Turkish troops invaded and since then occupy 37% of the island’s territory. Numerous rounds of talks, under UN auspices have failed. A new round is expected to resume this autumn.

Leave a Reply