Photo above: from L/R Harringey Borough celebrating  – Dave Cumberbatch assistant manager , Tom Loizou manager and Chairman Akis Achilleos



Saturday September 14th    2013     FA Cup with Budweiser 1st Qualifying Round

Borough safely negotiated their visit to the Vale Farm home of Wembley FC with the National Stadium, at which all Clubs dream of making an appearance at the end of the season, clearly in view;  although in the case of  Borough it is he Vase which gives rise to that possibility rather than the Cup as was the case here.    It took only two minutes for Borough to secure the lead when right back Charles Douse raced upfield to power home a header from Anthony McDonald’s left wing corner.

For the next twenty minutes Wembley attacked with great urgency and Borough suffered a setback when central defender Joe O’Cearuill was forced to withdraw from the fray after only 13 minutes.   But Daniel Walker slotted seamlessly into his spot and never put a foot wrong throughout with Lewis Laws taking over his midfield role.

For all their pressure Wembley  were unable to fashion any really clear cut chances although it was fortunate that Borough ’keeper Erbil Bozkurt was perfectly positioned to collect and hold onto a rocket of a  25 yard free kick from Wembley’s most dangerous player Tatsuya Fujioka.   But  it was Borough’s attacks which were creating the better chances and the match should really have been put out of the home side’s reach by half time.

McDonald’s trickery down the left wing gave the home defence a torrid time and one superb diagonal ball to the far post to the unmarked  Dean Fenton should have resulted in the lead being doubled but his usual fine control deserted him.   When McDonald himself had a golden opportunity he lobbed just over and, although unchallenged, Darrell Cox sidefooted a ten yard effort  too softly and too close to Wembley ‘keeper Grigoli Zulmatashvili who had earlier pulled off a superb tip over save from Dewayne Clarke’s dipping 35 yard snap shot.   Bozkurt was almost caught out by a high effort in the dying seconds of the half but just managed to get a hand to it under the angle of bar and post to turn it out for a corner.    The game continued in the same vein after the interval and it was fitting that  a game which featured an unusual number of corners from both sides should effectively have been settled by one of them;   a “carbon copy” goal in fact  as Douse again showed his misfiring forwards how to do it when he met another left wing McDonald corner with an emphatic scoring header in the 73rd minute.  Wembley naturally redoubled their efforts in the remaining time but Borough massed well in defence, conceding – but successfully defending – a late flurry of corners but Wembley did waste two late free kicks from very dangerous positions which might well have led to extra time but both were fired high over the bar.

In the next Round – the 2nd (of 4) Qualifying Rounds – Borough again travel into West London to face a tough test away to Wealdstone of the Ryman Isthmian League Premier Division.


Borough Squad:-    Erbil BOZKURT ,   Charles DOUSE,  Cedric LAKOLE,  Dewayne CLARKE ,

Joseph O’CEARUILL (Lewis LAWS, 13),   Daniel GUDGEON.

Daniel WALKER ,      Stephen OBENG  (Richard OWUSU, 61),      Dean FENTON,

Darrell COX (Solomon SHIELDS, 73),   Anthony McDONALD


Unused Substitutes:-   Andreas LOIZOU,  Billy HASPINEALL,  Nick NICOU


On Saturday 21st  Borough will entertain Wellingborough Town of the United Counties League at Coles Park (3pm) in the 2nd Qualifying round of the FA Carlsberg Vase.

Leave a Reply