Saturday September 28th  2013     FA Cup with Budweiser      2nd Qualifying Round

Throughout the first half Borough looked at least the equal of their two division higher opponents who are unbeaten in the Ryman Premier League this season.   Sadly they could find no finish to complement some attractive and threatening approach work.   Dewayne Clarke had the first chance of the game in the second minute but drove low and wide.   Wealdstone too threatened regularly but the Borough defence well marshalled by central defenders Daniel Gudgeon and Daniel Walker tackled, blocked and intercepted confidently and it was not until the sixteenth minute that “The Stones” wasted their first real chance when Elliott Godfrey half volleyed wide from a promising position.   Borough looked likely to take a lead which would not have been undeserved when Dean Fenton collected a fine diagonal ball and raced in from the right but his low cross shot smacked the foot of the post with the ’keeper beaten and in the scramble which followed Solomon Shields follow up was headed off the line.    Two minutes later Anthony McDonald fired a half chance wide but Borough survived a real scare when ‘keeper Erbil Bozkurt came for but completely missed a cross from the left but somehow the ball when quickly returned was scrambled into the side netting by desperate defending.   In a melee following a corner Borough survived what looked like a justified penalty appeal as a striker was pulled back but after 38 minutes Wealdstone’s Scott McGleish, a veteran of many Football League games with Leyton Orient and several other Clubs, showed how to finish un-fussily and first time as he swivelled to hook home a low cross from the right from some ten yards out.   Three minutes later  Wealdstone’s Tom Pett sent in a fierce long drive which clipped the top of the crossbar and in the closing seconds of the half McDonald wasted a Borough half chance for a crucial equaliser, curling his shot well over.    Within a minute of the restart Borough had a mountain to climb as a quick move saw McGleish slipped in centrally and his nonchalant  finish low to Bozkurt’s right was a formality.    Five minutes into the second period, Darrell Cox fired a cross shot which  was to be Borough’s best opportunity of the half wide of the far post when the ‘keeper should at least have been tested.   McDonald continued to find openings but his finishing efforts were way too high and Shields also fired an ambitious long drive well over.  Wealdstone’s lead never looked under real threat but as Borough chased the game fresh legs were introduced into midfield as Lawrence Constanti and Richard Owusu replaced Stephen Obeng and Shields.  End to end play failed to produce anything to extend either ‘keeper unduly but as the game wore on Wealdstone’s superior fitness became apparent and Borough survived only at the expense of conceding a string of corners.   But in the 80th minute the game was put out of Borough’s reach when sustained pressure gave Peter Dean the opening to send in a fierce swerving 15 yard strike high to Bozkurt’s right.     But Borough refused to capitulate and pressed hard for the consolation they deserved and got when Stephanos Georgiou, who had replaced Cox with 20 minutes left, was upended just inside  the box and Cedric Lakole’s blast well to the right of ‘keeper Johnathan North was unstoppable.    It was harsh on Borough when Dean cleverly hooked the ball into the far corner from a tight angle to complete the scoring in the dying seconds of stoppage time.


Borough Squad:- Erbil BOZKURT, Lewis LAWS,  Cedric LAKOLE, Dewayne CLARKE, Daniel GUDGEON,

Daniel WALKER, Solomon SHIELDS (Richard OWUSU 62),

Stephen OBENG (Lawrence CONSTANTI 62), Dean FENTON,

Darrell COX (Stephanos GEORGIOU 79), Anthony McDONALD

Unused Subs:- Andreas LOIZOU, Charles DOUSE, Joseph O’CEARUILL, Segun SOLAGBADE (GK)


Borough now return to League action when they entertain FC Romania on Tuesday 1st October (7. 45pm) and visit London APSA at the Terence McMillan Stadium on Saturday 8th  (3pm) before visiting Stansted at Hargrave Park on Tuesday 8th (7.45pm)

Leave a Reply