An elderly couple and their daughter have died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a caravan park.

Firefighters from Camborne and a specialist hazardous material advisor attended the property at Tremarle Home Park, North Roskear, Camborne.

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said the alarm was raised about 13:00 GMT.

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is thought to have been the cause of a woman’s death in St Ives, Cornwall, earlier this month.

Insp David Eldridge of Devon and Cornwall Police said: “Shortly before 1pm this afternoon, we were called to a caravan park near Camborne in Cornwall, where a helper had been unable to get a reply from an elderly couple who lived in the caravan.

Forced entry

“We were able to see that there was a figure sat in a chair but they were unresponsive to knocks at the door.

“Cornwall Fire and Rescue were called. They forced entry into the property and found that the three occupants were all dead.”

Camborne Town Council member David Biggs said the deaths were an “appalling tragedy”.

He said: “Tremarle Park is a residential caravan site and has provided homes for people for many years.

“It’s a well established facility and is very well run. It was a shock to learn that three people have died there.”

The family’s pet dog also died in the incident.

An investigation into what caused the deaths is under way, but the incident is not being treated as suspicious.

CO is a colourless, odourless gas produced by the incomplete burning of fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal. Inhaling it reduces the blood’s ability to carry oxygen and can be fatal.

BBC

Leave a Reply