Αccording to data of the Statistical Service of Cyprus, Cypriot students studying abroad seem to prefer Greece. According to these results, during the academic year 2010 – 2011, 8,983 Cypriots students chose Greece for their studies, narrowly followed by Britain, where 8,420 Cypriots studied.

Cypriot students abroad reached 19,199 in total. Their distribution by level is: 140 non-university, 16,575 university-undergraduate, 1,961 university graduate (Master) and 523 doctoral.

A rate of 97.5% students studied in European Union countries’ institutions, while the remaining 2.5% pursued their studies in other countries.

During the academic year 2010 – 2011, the total number of students studying in academic institutions in Cyprus reached 32,118, 22,092 of whom were of Cypriot origin and the rest 10,026 were foreign students. About 21,000 students chose  the public and private universities of Cyprus, while 10,384 preferred to study in the public and private non-university higher education (colleges and police college).

It is noteworthy that during the same period, Greek students who were studying in the public universities of Cyprus were 1,563, only 303 in private universities and just 13 students under the Erasmus Program.

Leave a Reply