Firefighters have issued a smoking safety reminder after a discarded cigarette is believed to have caused a fire at a flat on Coster Avenue in Manor House.
The balcony of a sixth floor flat was destroyed by fire. Part the flat was also damaged by fire. The remainder of the flat suffered smoke damage. Thirty people left the building before the arrival of the Brigade. One woman and two children were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service crews and taken to hospital as a precaution.
The Brigade’s fire investigation team believe the fire was accidental and was caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette.
The Brigade’s 999 Control Officers took 27 calls about the fire.
Safety advice for smokers:
Make sure you have smoke alarms fitted in every room you regularly use in your home including in the hallways.
Never smoke in bed.
Always ensure you stub out cigarettes properly and dispose of them carefully.
Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach.
Never leave lit cigarettes or cigars unattended.
Empty ashtrays carefully, ensuring all smoking materials are stubbed out and cold.
If you must smoke, do it outdoors.
The Brigade was called at 1822 and the fire was under control by 2109. Eight fire engines and around 60 firefighters from Holloway, Stoke Newington, Tottenham and other surrounding fire stations attended the scene.