Two fire engines and around 10 firefighters were called to a flat fire on Martins Walk, Muswell Hill.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “The fire is believed to have been caused by candles left unattended that caught curtains on fire.
“Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.”
A small part of a ground floor flat was damaged by fire. Two people left the affected flat before the arrival of the Brigade. They were treated at the scene for slight smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service crews.
The Brigade was called at 1635 and the fire was under control at 1654. Fire crews from Finchley fire station attended the scene.
Top candle safety tips
Keep candles/tea lights away from curtains, furniture and anything else that can catch fire.
Keep loose clothing and hair away from candles/tea lights when they are lit.
Always place your candles/tea lights in a suitable fire resistant candleholder.
Make sure the candleholder holds the candle/tea light firmly and is on a flat and stable surface to stop it falling over.
Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed.
Keep out of reach of children and pets.