Firefighters are reminding people about the importance of having working smoke alarms in your property after they alerted a man to a fire in a neighbouring property this morning.
A small part of a ground floor flat, in Eldon Road in Edmonton, was damaged by fire
A woman was rescued by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus. She was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews.
Crew Manager James Beatty, who was at the scene, said: “Thankfully, a neighbour was alerted to the fire when they heard a smoke alarm sounding and he immediately called 999.
“Smoke alarms give the earliest possible warning when a fire starts and we want everyone to make sure they have working smoke alarms fitted on every level of their home and in every room where a fire can start, except kitchens or bathrooms where heat alarms are more appropriate.”
The Brigade was called at 2310 and the fire was under control at 2347. Two fire engines and around 10 firefighters from Edmonton fire station attended the scene.