Firefighters have issued a smoking safety reminder after a fire at a shop with flats above is believed to have been caused by a discarded cigarette in Cann Hall Road, Leytonstone.
A small section of the ground floor was damaged by fire but thankfully a member of the public spotted smoke and called 999 so crews were able to tackle the fire before further damage was caused.
The property was being renovated and was unoccupied at the time of the fire.
The cause of the fire is believed to be a discarded cigarette that ignited the floorboards.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said:
“Cigarettes are a leading cause of house fires but so many people fail to ensure they are stubbed out properly. Never leave cigarettes unattended and always ensure ashtrays are carefully emptied with all the debris. We’d rather people didn’t smoke at all but if you do, vaping is a safer option in terms of preventing fires.
“It’s also important to remember your smoke alarms event when a house is empty, ensure they are tested and not obscured by building materials. If a fire starts, a smoke alarm can alert neighbours or passers buy which means that we can arrange be alerted sooner.”
Top tips on smoking safely.
The Brigade was called at 0227 and the fire was under control at 0333. Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Leytonstone, Stratford, Leyton, and Homerton fire stations attended the scene.