The court heard how on Tuesday, 9 January, officers were called by London Ambulance Service (LAS) at 10:56hrs to a residential address in Northumberland Park, N17 as they believed that the injury to Mr Hebblewhite’s foot was possibly the result of a stabbing.

He was subsequently conveyed to an east London hospital, where he later died on Thursday, 11 January.

Eugeniusz Ciwinski (07.09.85) of Coniston Road, N17 was found guilty by a jury of the manslaughter of 63-year-old Leslie Hebblewhite, and five counts of theft from the victim, at Wood Green Crown Court on Monday, 9 July.

A special post-mortem was carried out on 16 January at Haringey Mortuary. The pathologist reported that Mr Hebblewhite had an incised wound to the top of his left foot, caused by a bladed instrument, such as a knife used in a slashing motion.

On the day of the attack, a witness at the scene told officers that he went to visit Mr Hebblewhite in his room between 10:30-11:00hrs, and that his bedroom had been badly disturbed and ransacked with items thrown around, including a broken chair.

He found the victim with the wound to his foot and LAS were called.

The victim told him that his attacker was Polish and that it had happened at around 07:00hrs.

Officers reviewed the CCTV from within the property and saw a man attempting to conceal his identity by covering his face with a scarf. It further shows the man leaving and re-entering the venue on numerous occasions.

Local CCTV also shows the suspect in the surrounding area at the time of the attack.

On Sunday, 14 January a bank statement showed that the victim’s bank card was still being used after his death. Detectives reviewed the CCTV and saw the same man who had attempted to cover his face at the victim’s house, withdrawing the cash.

Officers identified the suspect as Eugeniusz Ciwinski and at 19:17hrs on 15 January he was located at Grassmere Road, N17 and arrested on suspicion of murder and theft. He was searched and found to be in possession of the victim’s bank card.

Ciwinski was taken to Stoke Newington police station, and on 18 January, was charged with manslaughter and five counts of theft.

Acting Detective Sergeant James Nakanda, from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “Ciwinski not only caused a man to lose his life, but he also stole thousands of pounds from his account as he lay in hospital dying.

“I hope that this result will bring some justice to the family and friends of Mr Hebblewhite.”

Ciwinski will be sentenced at the same court [Wood Green Crown Court] on Monday, 16 July.

Leave a Reply