A first floor kitchen, ducting, the second floor and flat roof were damaged by the fire. There were no reports of any injuries.
The Brigade’s fire investigators believe the cause of the fire was due to cooking oil left unattended on a gas burner which ignited and spread to oil and grease in the ducting.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “This incident is a timely reminder that you should never leave cooking unattended and if you do have to leave the room, always turn the heat off.
“It’s also important for restaurant and take-away owners to make sure their extraction systems are kept clean as a build up of fat and grease within the filters can lead to a fire.”
The Brigade was called at 1459 and the fire was under control at 1647. Six fire engines and 35 firefighters and officers from West Hampstead, Kentish Town, Soho fire stations attended the incident.
How to prevent cooking fires
• Avoid leaving cooking unattended
• Don’t cook if you are tired, have been drinking alcohol or taking medication that might make you drowsy
• Take care not to lean over hot hobs and keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob
• Be careful to keep the oven, hob, cooker hood and grill clean to avoid a build-up of fat and grease, which could ignite and cause a fire
• Use spark devices to light gas cookers – they are much safer than matches or lighters as they don’t have a naked flame
• Double check the cooker and hob are turned off when you’ve finished cooking
• Check toasters are clean and placed away from anything that can catch fire
• Never put anything metal in the microwave
• Never use a barbecue indoors or on a balcony – burning or smouldering fuel can cause carbon monoxide poisoning
• Supervise children and pets in the kitchen at all times and keep matches and saucepan handles out of reach
If a pan catches fire
• Don’t tackle the fire yourself and don’t attempt to move the pan
• Never throw water over a fire as it could create a fireball
• Turn off the heat, if it is safe to do so
• Leave the room, close the door, shout a warning to others and call 999