The borough’s brightest sporting talent was recognised last night at The Haringey Celebrating Sport Awards held at Tottenham Green Pools and Fitness.
The awards, which are in their 10th year, recognise sporting excellence, top quality coaching, volunteering and performance throughout Haringey.
The awards ceremony was hosted by London 2012 Forum Chairman Richard Sumray, with awards handed out by Mayor of Haringey Cllr Ali Gul Ozbek, Tottenham Hotspur FC Spurs footballer Kevin Wimmer and Commonwealth Gymnastics Champion Steve Frew.
The event, which is in its 10th year, is a real community affair with sponsorship coming from the Tottenham Grammar School Foundation, Haringey Sports Development Trust, Fusion Lifestyle, and the event’s longest serving sponsor, Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.
Cllr Peray Ahmet, Haringey Council Cabinet Member for Environment said:
“These awards celebrate not just Haringey’s fantastic sportsmen and women, but also the teams behind them that make it possible for our residents to participate in sport.
“It’s great to have the opportunity to celebrate the things sport adds to our borough – from better health to community cohesion and teamwork. Congratulations to all the winners and their teams, and thanks for the hard work they do across Haringey.”
Full list of winners:
– Volunteer of the Year: Highgate School – Reverse Inclusion Programm
– Sporting School of the Year: Gladesmore Community School
– Junior Sports Performer/Team of the Year: Flo Donald – Lea Rowing Club
– Coach of the Year: Adrian Klemens – London Blitz / Dynamic Sports Academy
– Outstanding Contribution to Sport and Physical Activity: Sharon Austin – Haringey Aquatics
– Disabled Sport Performer/Team of the Year: The Vale School -Tutor Group 4
– Sport Performer of the Year: Lucia Leon – Tottenham Hotspur Ladies FC
– Club of the Year: WeMove Dance Troupe