A man who fatally stabbed 22-year-old Ali Nasrollahi in Barnet following a dispute over a small amount of cash has been jailed.


Bright Osei, 22 (16.08.94), of Ballards Lane, N3 pleaded not guilty to murder, but guilty to manslaughter by loss of control at the Old Bailey, on Wednesday, 5 October. The circumstances were aggravated by Osei’s intent to kill or cause serous harm.


He was sentenced at the same court on Thursday, 6 October to ten years in prison


Detective Chief Inspector Andy Chalmers, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “Ali Nasrollahi was killed following an argument over a small debt. It is hard to believe that someone can place so little value on another person’s life.


“It is clear Osei intended to cause kill or cause serious physical harm to Ali as he had a weapon with him which was used to cause the fatal injuries. The actions of the defendant on that day resulted in the unnecessary death of another young man and he has now deservedly been sent to prison.


“We will continue to work with colleagues across the Met to tackle knife crime head on; this case should act as a warning to those individuals who choose violence that that will be arrested and convicted.”


Police were called at 14:43hrs on Tuesday, 29 March to reports of a man collapsed in the street, on Woodside Grange Road, at the junction with Grange Way, N12.


Officers, the London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance all attended the scene.


Ali Nasrollahi, 22 (28.02.94) was taken to the Royal London Hospital, suffering from a single stab wound to the chest. He died 16:53hrs that afternoon.


A post-mortem examination held at Northwick Park Mortuary on Thursday, 31 March, gave cause of death as a single stab wound to the chest.


An investigation was launched by the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command.


Detectives established that Ali had been involved in an argument with Osei outside West Finchley Underground Station the previous day regarding a small debt that was owed to one of his friends.


The men met the following day where it was reported by eye witnesses that Ali had been pushed against a tree and stabbed.


A search of the route taken by the Osei following the murder led to the discovery of a knife which, after forensic examination, was found to have traces of Ali’s DNA on it.


The trial of the four men accused of murder and manslaughter began on Monday, 12 September.


The judge acquitted three defendants at the end of the prosecution case on the basis that joint enterprise had not been proven.


+ Nelphy Lelu, 22 (27.10.93) of Portsdown Avenue, NW11; John Opoku 27 (03.05.89) of Ballards Lane, N3 and his half-brother Francis Osei Appiagyei, 24 (04.06.92) of Albany Road, Brentford, were acquitted of murder and manslaughter.

Leave a Reply